Sunday, April 06, 2008

On the Road



Two disceples are on the way to Emmaus and Jesus joins them. They are so disappointed about the happenings of the last days--Jesus' death, the empty tomb, etc.--that they do not recognize Jesus. Isn't that typical of our lives? We have so many concerns that we forget the scriptures that have spoken to us, the beliefs we have about life, the nurishment we receive from community and so many other things. We do not even recognize the guidance God sends in our everyday journeying.


Today, I asked myself what it would take to open my eyes. Have you ever had your eyes opened to the truth that was always before you? How did it happen?


The other thought I have is around "Were not our hearts burning within us when he spoke to us on the way?" There have indeed been times when the scriptures have spoken to me in a way that truly moved my heart. I think it is important to remember occasionally what those passages (or maybe it is events) were and to go back and recapture the moments.


God provides what we need to come to see and to love.

No comments: