Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Today is beautiful. The readings for Mass gave pause for thought. The mother of James and John had something she wanted for them and was bold enough to speak up for it. Jesus answers them instead of her so I suppose they put her up to it. Usually when I meditate on that reading I focus on how difficult it must have been for Jesus. He had just told them about how he would suffer and they do not commiserate in anyway but go right on thinking of themselves.

Today, though, I prayed about being bold enough to express my desires to Jesus and to God. There are things I do want and sometimes find it difficult to admit those wants. So this morning I asked God for a lot of things--small and large with confidence that God will give me whatever I need and not the things that would not be helpful for my union with God.

I also spent a little time with the first reading--about being earthen vessels. It is truly okay to be human and have human weaknesses. As the reading so eloquently said, that weakness of ours makes it all the more clear that any glory belongs to God. Jesus shared our humanness so would we reject it by insisting on being infinite and flawless?

For today, I'm going to be okay with my failings and ask for what I need.

No comments: