Saturday, April 19, 2008

Show us the Father



I am very much like the disciples in today's gospel. I keep asking to see more clearly. "Show us the Father." And I don't always get the answer Jesus gives. "If you have seen me, you have seen the Father." And then I want to know where I have seen Jesus. It is hard to accept what I know is the answer--in all those I meet and in every circumstance of my life. At this point that is consoling but also disappointing. I am grateful that the opportunities to see and respond to Jesus are so near and so abundant. But I am disappointed that they are so ordinary and still not as clear as I would like. This is part of the struggle of discernment. Figuring out just what is being revealed in all those ordinary events of life.



I conclude that it will take much practice over a long time for me to begin to have clarity about what others are calling me to and what others are revealing about the path God has for me. It will take many moments of prayerful reflection on the events of my day and my history before I have even a modicum of clarity. Patience and fidelity are part of the discernment process and also being able to accept some fogginess. It will still take trust to respond. I would like the kind of clarity that leave no room for risk.

No comments: